How to Sketch From References Using Basic Shapes - Video Tutorial & PSD File
This is a real-time walk-through video tutorial with in-context explanations of my thoughts and techniques when it came to sketching this character using references from sketch.
You will learn how to have ideas, take your references and sketch a stylised character illustration, touching on many topics and filled with my thoughts, tips and tricks as I'm needing to use them to accomplish this particular character design/illustration. Everything I talk about is related to this Octopus Mermaid character.
This is not ❌
This isn't a focused course on any one particular area like rendering, lighting, stylisation, perspective, photoshop etc.
- What tools do I need?
- A computer, iPad/tablet that runs any standard digital drawing software (like Procreate, Photoshop, Clip Studio, Krita etc)
- Do I really need Photoshop?
- No. You just need any digital art software that can handle layers, layer modes and masking (which most do).
- Is this also for beginners?
- When I discovered my style, I've been thinking why it is how it is, spent some times on this question and realized the answer. Besides creating a default process, our art style is defined by how you see the world + technical skills + a mix of your references + frequency.Learning something new puts us in other perspective and evolves us in several aspects mentioned above, this is something I would have loved to of had when I was starting out.
- What if I don't understand something?
- If something isn't working or you don't understand something, reach out to me via DM's and I'd be happy to clarify anything that doesn't make sense.
Coming Soon ⌛
I am working on new video tutorials which I explain all the process to render your sketch on Adobe Illustrator. The final result you can check below and I'm excited to finish the walkthrough video.
All Access 🔥
Get all my Gumroad files (50+ Brushes, 300+ Color Swatches, 15 Graphic Styles, 10+ .AI source illustration files, 20+ Textures & Patterns, 30+ Wallpapers & MORE!)